- This event has passed.
Community Gardens as Neighborhood Resources
July 24 @ 10:30 am
In neighborhoods all over Chicago, community gardens bring people together. They offer beauty and respite, preserve foodways, support well-being, and social cohesion, and facilitate neighborhood self-sufficiency. As part of CHF’s Neighborhood Initiative, CHF and community-based partner organizations on the South Side co-create a morning of conversation and exploration in and around the historic Rainbow Beach Victory Garden. A panel of urban agriculture leaders will discuss the importance of community gardening on the South Side, and local partners will offer hands-on engagement with the surroundings—including tours, demonstrations, scavenger hunts, and more!
RSVP for FREE at https://bit.ly/2UGcjaX
Location and Schedule
– This program will be held in-person at the Rainbow Beach Victory Garden on July 24th at 10:30 a.m.
– 10:00 am: Seating opens
– 10:30 – 11:30 am: Panel Discussion
– 11:30 am – 1:00 pm: Optional tours and activities
Pathways from the street, parking lots, and to the Fieldhouse have paved sidewalks. Indoor restrooms are wheelchair-accessible on site. Be aware that the panel discussion at the Fieldhouse will take place on a grassy lawn, and the walking tours of Victory Gardens take place on grass. The panel discussion at the Fieldhouse will have chairs, while the tours of Victory Gardens will require a 10-minute walk and standing.
Assistive Listening Devices:
– For the panel discussion, panelists will have microphones and assistive listening devices will be available for pickup at the registration table by the Fieldhouse.
– For the walking tour of Victory Gardens, tour guides will not have microphones and assistive listening devices will not be available.
– The panel discussion at the Fieldhouse will have ASL interpretation.
– One walking tour of Victory Gardens will have an ASL interpreter following the tour guide, which will be the first tour to depart immediately following the panel discussion.
– For additional information about accessibility, email [email protected] or call the CHF box office at (312) 605-8444.
Health and Safety
– Masks are NOT required during the outdoor panel discussion at Rainbow Beach Park.
– Masks ARE required when entering any indoor spaces or accessing the restrooms. Please note that Victory Gardens is a private space that requires visitors to wear masks on site.
– Masks will be available on-site in case you forget yours.